Friday, February 8, 2019

Genealogical Goals of 2019 (Part II)


Continuing from my previous, genealogical goals of 2019 (Part I), here are the second set of goals for this new year!

6. Push all my lines into the 1700s
This one is a bit harder and will take some time, depending on the availability of records. I have been pretty fortunate to push many of my lines back to the early 1800s, though of course this is also thanks to a lot of dedicated hours and hard work on my behalf. A next step however would be to push my lines to the early 1700s and this type of work comes with its limitations. For example, lines that are products of illegitimate marriages and slaves are less than likely going to reach the 1700s, 1) because there was no listed father and with no clue to who he was I could search forever and 2) slaves were  sometimes not given surnames or clues to their origins. For these cases DNA is my next best bet, but again that also comes with limitations. The endogamy on the island plays a hard role in figuring out who matches me where, so it's not like I could test cousins on those lines that are not related to other lines in my family, because so far it almost seems like everyone is related!

Going down my tree, I can definitely identify lines in the 1700s for example: Rivera, Román, Díaz, Mojica (Múxica), Marrero, Vélez, Pérez, Sepúlveda, Román, Magraner, Morell, Padilla, Santana just to give you a quick insight into surnames (these only paternal) I've pushed back to the early 1700s. Yet there are other names such as Mercado, Cajigas, Cruz, Gerena, Ortiz, Vázquez (again, all paternal) that I can not push back due to lack of records currently available. On my mother's side it's also a mix, some lines are pushed back to the 1700s and some still wavering in the 1800s waiting to be discovered. For example, San Sebastián is currently a big block in my research since none of their records are readily available online like how other towns for Puerto Rico are. Hoping though that as more records become available, this task will be much easier. 

7. Continue reading books about genealogy 
This one is pretty straight forward, continue reading books that have to do with genealogy. Recently, I have been able to incorporate reading into my general everyday life again and so hopefully it'll stick and I'll be able to cycle through some genealogy books as well. There are some books I have on my shelf waiting for me to pick them up and read them and some on my Amazon wishlist waiting for me to buy them. A lot of these texts though can be historically factually heavy and thus makes me want to put them down pretty fast because it's too much to digest in one sitting. Hoping I get through some for the year though!

8. Take a genealogy course 
I have wanted to complete this goal for some time now but there are two things that always stop me: Time and Money. I think taking a genealogical course, especially if it offers some type of certification, would be an amazing "genealogy resumé" builder, but I also fear that taking the course won't help me much. Though there are some courses that are geared to the more general approach to genealogy, I have also seen some targeted to mainly North American research - which for someone who does basically all of their research in Puerto Rico, the course won't be very helpful. Boston University does offer an interesting course for genealogy which I think would be helpful but the course has a hefty price tag. Also, I always miss the deadline to actually sign up for the course which bums me out and then I totally forget. I think at some point, maybe in the fall, I would like to try and register for the course and actually take it. Taking it in the summer is difficult since I'm usually traveling or away from most of my genealogy books. I think it's definitely worth the investment especially if I want to later on get an actual certification as a professional genealogists.

9. Get savvier with the use of DNA results
I've always been hesitant to learn from my DNA in-depth because it can be a lot to take in. With testing other family members and tools such as DNA Painter, my goal is to hopefully continue learning more about my ancestors through DNA. Whether it's autosomal, haplogroups, mtDNA or YDNA, I'm hoping that I can take apart my results and what they hide. It's not easy with endogamy but bit by bit I can learn more about myself and my ancestors.

10. Build stories around my factual evidence
What I mean by this is that I want to learn more about what went on in the day-to-day on the island while my ancestors were living there. I know some key dates such as when slavery ended and the Spanish-American war occurred but for example, when were some of the major hurricanes to hit the island? The rebellions that occurred besides El Grito de Lares? What did the different societal classes look like? What other events pushed my ancestors from Martinique, Guadeloupe, and Spain to come to the New World as well. I think some of this information will come from reading more books but I'll have to check around the internet as well and see what else I can learn.

Here's to hoping that I can stick to my goals and before I know it, it'll be 2020 and I'll be reflecting on these goals as well. Make sure to set some genealogical goals for yourself as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment