Sunday, January 20, 2019

A Puerto Rican Look at: 23andMe European Ancestry Reports

Updated 23andMe Ancestry Reports - Spanish & Portuguese DNA [Personal Photo]

Recently, after having a conversation with a friend about the new update to 23andme, he had figured out there were some new updated reports specifically to some of the populations - in this case the European Ancestry Reports. He realized that his Spanish & Portuguese report had indicated some new information about regions in Spain where his family was from. So I logged into my accounts to see the regions and it was very interesting! So in this post I will talk about the European update that I saw on my Ancestry Reports and how over generations it looks for my family from Puerto Rico. I have yet to really see other Puerto Rican results outside of my family members so I'm interesting in hearing from others of their reports.

How can I find my reports? 

When you log into your 23andMe account under the Ancestry tab you will see on the second line: "All Ancestry Reports". Click on this to access your reports.

All Ancestry Reports [Personal Photo - 23andMe]

You should be able to see your reports like below. These are updated results for 23andMe which I'll have to analyze deeper at another time, especially now that my African results have been broken down into more specific categories. For example, if you can click on "Spanish and Portuguese", in my case, I'll be able to see more in-depth results. This will vary depending in your ancestry and where your family is from. Despite having higher percentages of African results with certain members of my family, the results currently do not go anymore in-depth.

Ancestry Composition Reports [Personal Photo - 23andMe]

Below, you can see what my personal results look like, as you can read this isn't a perfected science... yet. The results will change since it's currently based on what people have reported their ancestry to be from. It states that "in the last 200 years, your ancestors may have lived in the following locations". 200 years ago was 1819, and a great majority of my ancestors were already living in Puerto Rico, besides my Mallorcan line which was introduced later in mid-1800s. However, you can see here that three regions are highlighted for me, these being: Andalucía, Canary Islands, and Cataluña. At first glance, my reaction was "this isn't surprising", knowing Caribbean/Puerto Rican history you know that most of the peoples that came to populate this region were from the southern parts of Spain and the Canary Islands. The pull to Cataluña I imagine is from my Mallorcan ancestor, especially since I imagine the people that went into the Balearic Islands were probably mostly from the regions of Valencia and Cataluña. My strongest region based off the colors seems to be Andalucía - again not too surprising. I've also traced some family lines to this region so my paper trail helps to confirm that as well. 

Spanish & Portuguese Report [Personal Photo - 23andMe]

European Reports Analysis

Taking these reports of Spanish & Portuguese I was able to compile the different regions my family are related to based off these ancestry reports. It's interesting seeing the similarities and differences between my family members, also seeing that some of my family members got results for Portugal was interesting as well. I compiled them into a chart showing the different family members, their percentages, the Spanish regions, Portuguese regions, and for one family member Italian regions.

Compiled European Ancestry Reports [Personal Photo]  

You can see that I start with myself, move into my parents' generations, and later the generation of my grandparents/great-aunts & one great-grandfather. I've placed their last names next to their generational name mostly for my sake to remember who exactly it was that showed these results. As you can see there are a lot of overlaps between regions mainly Andalucía and the Canary Islands. You can also see Galicia, Extremadura, Cataluña, Valencia, Madrid, and the Basque country amongst other regions in my family. Cataluña and Valencia as I theorize are regions that pull towards the Balearic Islands due to my ancestor in Sóller, Mallorca. Looking at the regions of one of my uncle's they hit the nail on the head with actually mentioning "Balearic Islands" as one of his region. Some of the regions mentioned, I have been able to find genealogical and paper trail evidence of family presence there. However, I don't have all of my lines traced back to Europe so I'm not sure where else my Spanish ancestors are from and this could definitely take time. 

With the Portuguese ancestry, only three family members show Portugal: two of my great-aunts and my maternal grandfather. My Rivera great-aunt shows Azores and Madeira which are regions I have found before amongst my matches in 23andMe, as does my Vélez great-aunt and Correa great-grandfather. Interestingly though, my Vélez great-aunt also shows Braga while my Correa grandfather shows Setubal and Brangança district. 

Braga is towards the north of Portugal which could be connected to Galicia and ancestors that lived in that area. 

Braga, Portugal [23andMe]

This next town (Setúbal) is closer to the south of Portugal and even had a Al-Andalusian Arabic name earlier on in its history. Could be tied to southern Spanish ancestors though this town is closer to the ocean on the left than closer to the Spanish border on the right.

Setubal, Portugal [23andMe]

This last region is more northern than Braga and closer to the Spanish border. Just like Braga, it could be tied to Galician ancestors. There's definitely more research I would have to do into these Portuguese regions!

Bragança, Portugal [23andMe]

Interestingly, my Vélez great-aunt shows two Italian regions, though she only has 2.5% of Italian DNA. It shows her tied to the regions of Lazio and Calabria in Italy which is interesting to see since I have no known Italian genealogy so far. Her Italian ancestry says to have been introduced into the family around 1710 and 1800 and anywhere from her 3rd to 6th great-grandparents. 

Lazio & Calabria, Italy [23andMe]

My Vélez great-uncle, brother to my great-aunt (both siblings of my grandmother) also shows Italian ancestry. His percentage is at 5.5% which is higher than my aunt and shows three regions, two of which they both share. The third region is Sicily which for my Vélez great-uncle shows up at region #1. Truly, I'm not sure how this ancestry has been introduced to my family. Whether through Mallorca, a Corsican ancestor that came to Puerto Rico, or another way. I've only been able to research a few branches to the early 1700s so there's definitely somewhere else they could be hidden along my pedigree. I also wonder however if other Puerto Ricans have this similar ancestry in their gene pool. 

Sicily, Lazio & Calabria, Italy [23andMe]

Conclusion

There is still much to learn from these new ancestry reports, some of them make a lot of sense like the various regions in Spain but I'm not sure how Portugal and Italy fall into play with my ancestry yet. My hope is that in a near future the regions will be more informative as well as the African regions being added to better distinguish the different tribes and countries. This is especially important for those of us with slave ancestry who might have no idea where in West Africa their ancestry is tied to. My goal is to analyze the recent updates for my African results as well... stay tuned! 

Senegambian & Guinean Ancestry [23andMe] 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Luis, I really love your blog. I'm new to this DNA thing. I wanted to ask you a question regarding hispanic ancestry. When I was 16 when I first met my maternal grandmother from louisiana, before she died, I believed she had some hispanic in her blood (from dominican republic) I asked my dad what her race was, he told me he didn't know. As I got older I started to let go of the fact that maybe she didn't have hispanic in her. I just got my results from 23 and me and It says 1.6% Spanish and Portuguese and 1.3% Native American. I look on my matches and I have a few 4th cousins that are Puerto Rican, Cuban and Mexican. Out of all the hispanic countries, Puerto Rico has the most. There's a man name Gregorio Matos Serrano who is predicted to be my 4th cousin and we share a 3rd great-grandparent. He is 84 years old and I'm 31. His parents and their parents are all from Puerto Rico. Could it be possible that the great-grandparent or great-grandparents we share together is also from Puerto Rico?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cardell, with having ancestry in Louisiana, I wonder if you have any distant Canary Island ancestors who contributed to your DNA. That could explain why you have distant Puerto Rican cousins since a lot of Canary Islanders ended up in the Caribbean. Maybe that is how you are related to Gregorio?

      Delete
  2. Hi Luis, I was thinking that might be the case here, I read 2 days ago that some Canary Islanders came to Louisiana from 1778-1783. So are they part of the Puerto Rican culture? is it possible that I have more relatives from Puerto Rico? here's my 23andme link

    https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/3d7fa7b17e924b6a850fb06a67336f63/?share_id=12f2e8fcc141409e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Canary Islanders are a big part of Puerto Rican culture, in the sense that various waves of them came to the island over various years. I took a look at your DNA, notice that Spanish & Portuguese is mainly concentrated on a large chunk of DNA coming from Chromosome 8 - it would be interesting to see if that's where your Puerto Rican cousins are showing up. Hope that helps!

      Delete